CT in dentistry
Dental problems are one of the first reasons to seek help from a specialist. Sensitive nerve endings and problematic performance of daily essentials, in most cases, make dental issues a priority.
The structure of the jaw and the structure itself of the dental composition is quite complex and a considerable part of it is not available for surface examination. CT is often assigned to clarify the condition and identify deep problems. This method of examination provides the most accurate three-dimensional picture of the image, which is able to tell about the internal state of the entire dental composition. One of the main advantages of such a survey is its high accuracy and safety.
Duration: 1 minute.
When can contrast be assigned: in case of suspected neoplasm.
Presence of contraindications: no.
Presence of restrictions: children under 6 years, pregnancy and lactation.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Price of CT of jaw – 1000 UAH.
In what cases appoint CT in dentistry:
- • trauma to the maxillofacial department;
- • detection of anomalies in the development of teeth;
- • verification of previously conducted treatment;
- • thickening of the mucous membrane;
- • examination of chronic focal infections of the maxillofacial department;
- • when performing a complex deletion;
- • neoplasms;
- • the need for prosthetics;
- • determination of the degree of damage to the maxillofacial department;
- • if necessary, implant placement;
- • complications of canal treatment;
- • before installing the bracket system.
The purpose of CT scan of maxillofacial department:
- • recreate the full picture of the disease;
- • examination of tumors;
- • precise definition of the specificity of the structure of the jaw and dental composition;
- • determining the direction of the dental roots;
- • examination of pathological processes and abnormalities;
- • identification of sources of inflammatory processes;
- • channel research.
How is the CT scan procedure:
Patient from the region of the head metal objects (hairpins, earrings, piercings, chains). Then you need to place the lower jaw on a special stand. The head is carefully fixed with clamps to immobilize. After fine-tuning everything, a device with sensors and X-rays rotates around the patient’s head, which captures a three-dimensional image to within 1 mm. The data is transmitted to a computer where the specialist processes the data and clarifies or refutes the diagnosis. For preparation of results the doctor needs no more than 30 minutes.
Indications for bolus administration:
- • suspected presence of tumors;
- • elimination of recurrence;
- • examination of soft tissues.
Bolus is an iodine-containing substance for intravenous administration. It helps to see the soft tissues better in the images of the tomograph. Anesthesiologist introduces a bolus. Before administering a contrast agent, the patient should be alerted to the condition of the thyroid gland and the presence or absence of an allergy to iodine.
CT allows you to see the most clear picture quickly and painlessly. It is not an invasive diagnostic tool that delivers accurate results and is harmless to health.