The Turkish saddle is a bone formation with a small indentation, next to the base of the skull in the sphenoid bone. There is the pituitary gland. Above it passes the intersection of the optic nerves. Quite often, the pituitary gland is the site of localization of tumors. Problems with the pituitary gland can lead to deformation of the walls of the Turkish saddle, which in turn can lead to vision problems. In order to check the condition of the pituitary gland and the Turkish saddle, in particular, deep diagnostics are carried out. One of the most effective diagnostic options is computed tomography. This is a minimally invasive study that provides the most accurate data. Time: from 20 to 40 minutes. Preliminary preparation: refrain from eating 4 hours before the examination. Remove all metal objects (hairpins, earrings, piercings) from the head area. Presence of contraindications: without a bolus – no, with a bolus – there is. Restrictions: weight over 150 kg, up to 14 years of age, pregnancy, breast-feeding, acute heart or kidney failure, allergy to contrast (if contrast is used). Preparation of the conclusion: 30-40 minutes.
The purpose of the CT of the Turkish saddle:Indications for research
- • Verification of the structure of the Turkish saddle;
- • Diagnosis of blood vessels;
- • Examination of the hypothalamus;
- • Assessment of the hypothalamic-pituitary zone;
- • Checking for hormonal pituitary disorders and dysfunctions.
Indications for CT scan of the Turkish node:
- • Hormonal disorders of the pituitary gland;
- • Suspicion of cancer;
- • Suspicion of cancer;
- • vision problems;
- • Infertility;
- • Intracranial hypertension;
- • Increased prolactin levels (detected by a blood test);
- • Metastasis, such as adenoma and adenocarcinoma;
- • Frequent headaches (mostly not localized).
How is the CT scan procedure for the Turkish saddle:The patient removes all metal objects (hairpins, earrings, piercings, chains) from the head area. The patient lies on his back on a mobile couch of the tomograph. The head is fixed for clear immobility. Only the patient is in the office, and communication with the doctor is through a feedback device. The patient listens to all doctor’s instructions (inhale, exhale, do not breathe). Doctor is watching through the glass. The couch enters the frame of the tomograph. The device starts up – a ring with an x-ray and sensors starts circular movements around the head. During operation, the tomograph emits sound signals in the form of soft clicks. From all angles, a layered picture of the Turkish saddle and surrounding areas is recorded. Information is displayed on the computer in the form of layered images of horizontal slices. This procedure does not cause pain or discomfort.
Indications for the introduction of contrastIf it is necessary to study soft tissues, it is necessary to introduce contrast, which allows you to see a clearer picture and, in which case, to identify violations and dysfunctions. For CT scan with contrast, the following indications are preceded:
- • Suspicion of the presence of tumors;
- • Inflammatory processes of the pituitary gland and adjacent areas;
- • Problems with the pituitary gland.
Contraindications for the introduction of contrast:
- • Allergy to iodine-containing drugs (in contrast there is iodine);
- • Pregnancy and feeding;
- • Renal, heart or liver failure;
- • Diabetes.